The Somerset Natural Learning Academy provides:
- bespoke training on embedding Forest School and other outdoor learning approaches in the curriculum
- labyrinth training for spiritual development and curriculum initiatives
- help for newly qualified Forest School Leaders to initiate Forest School programmes in their schools
- advice on low-cost solutions for the development of school grounds for outdoor learning
- help for schools, churches and community groups in making low-cost temporary and permanent labyrinths
- advice and support in getting the most out of your labyrinth project
- labyrinth kits for the ready erection of full-size, temporary outdoor labyrinths
We provide initial consultation, advice and costings for your project free of charge. Often, you will need no more than this to get you going. Our large group training days cost £400 with two trainers attending. Other charges by negotiation. We are currently not a grant-making body.
Activity Days For Schools, home-educated groups, Forest School & After School Clubs
SNLA offer a range of National Curriculum based activity packages that can be adapted to suit your needs. They are suitable for school environments, home-educated groups, Forest Schools, After School Clubs or workshops in other contexts
Timings. Packages are generally offered as one hour, quarter day or half day workshops. This means that the package will be tailored to working with the same group for 3 hours (a full morning) or 3 groups for one hour. Different timings are possible to fit in with timetabling needs.
Charges. Our present charges are £25 per hour for the first Activity Leader, who will be a qualified teacher and Forest School Leader. Where two facilitators are necessary the second facilitator is charged at £15 per hour. A full day is charged at 5 ½ hours. A half day (typically mornings) is charged at 3 hours.
Group Sizes. Our activities are generally designed for 12 to 15 children. We therefore need to utilize two facilitators for an average class of 25 to 30. Our Safeguarding Policy requires the presence of a member of staff from the school who does not need to be a teacher.
D.I.Y. For all the packages on offer we are happy to run training events to enable teachers and Forest School leaders to deliver the packages for themselves.
After School Clubs. We are happy to come to flexible charging arrangements for After School Clubs to fit in with standard pricing arrangements.
- ABORIGINAL ART & TECHNOLOGY – Art & Design, Science – Changing Materials, Literacy – Dreamtime Story-telling
- BRIDGE-BUILDING – Forces – Bridges, Cranes & Masts
- LABYRINTHS 1 – Shapes, measuring, angles, symmetry
- LABYRINTHS 2 – Drama – Role-play and improvisation themes on Theseus and the Minotaur
- LABYRINTHS 3 – Labyrinths for well-being and spiritual growth
- MINDFULNESS MAGIC FOR KIDS – using Yoga to help children to develop their Creativity
- NATIVE AMERICANS – History, Science – Forces – Transport , Literacy
- WIZARDS & WOODS – Drama & Story-writing
Some Comments from our Course Delegates:
“Practical activities were great fun, and very relevant. I can see myself doing these with the children at school…. It’s been a great day. Thank you.”
– B.T. , Hindhayes School, Somerset.
“I’ve really enjoyed today. So much to take back to school. Will encourage others to attend your training.”
– S.P. , King Arthur’s, Wincanton.
“An excellent day. I really enjoyed learning to make different types of labyrinth, and lots of ideas for how we could use a labyrinth at school.”
– A.N., Meare, Somerset.
“A fabulous day. So inspired. Can’t wait to start. Will feed back to other staff.”
– S.T., Holway Park School, Somerset.